|September 28, 2017|
It is the last week of September, so let's take stock in what we know about the state of college football in 2017:
1. Alabama and Clemson appear on a collision course for their third straight National Championship matchup.
2. There are 18 other undefeated teams in the country, 14 of which are ranked, but none have a better chance of going undefeated than San Diego State, who is favored to win each of their remaining games by at least 72 percent.
3. In two of the three years that the CFP system has been in place, one or more teams that made the playoff were ranked outside the top-10 in week four:
-2014: No. 23 Ohio State
-2015: No. 11 Clemson, No. 12 Alabama and No. 15 Oklahoma
-2016: Washington (No. 9) and Clemson (No. 5) were outside the top four
4. All five of the national media outlets in the projections section of the Bowletin believe Clemson will be playing at the 2018 CFP Semifinal at the Rose Bowl Game. In week five last year, none of the outlets believed USC or Penn State would be playing in the 2017 Rose Bowl Game.
5. We really don't know what will happen, but that's why we watch.
So take a seat, buckle up, keep your arms and legs inside the vehicle at all times, and get ready for a wild ride as we head for October.
The early game schedule has expanded this week, including the Game of the Week in Pac-12 on Friday night:
Thursday, September, 28
NC Central at Florida A&M, 4:30 pm, ESPNU
Texas at Iowa State, 5 pm, ESPN
Friday, September, 29
Dartmouth at Penn, 4 pm, NBCSN
Miami at Duke, 4 pm, ESPN
BYU at Utah State, 5 pm, CBSSN
Nebraska at Illinois, 5 pm, FS1
USC at Washington State, 7:30 pm, ESPN